do it yourself: New Year's Party Hat
Ring in the New Year with your one-of-a-kind party hat! This project is from one of our Winter Day Camps and now you can learn how to make your very own party hat for any special occasion!
guidelines + materials
AGE: 6+ years old
TIME FRAME: 30 minutes
- Birthday Hat Template
- Glitter paper
- Hot glue gun
DIY: New Year's Party Hat
Watch this short video to see how to make a New Year’s party hat or a hat for any special occasion!
1. Begin by cutting out the Birthday Party Template and place it on the inside of the glitter paper. Hold the template in place, on the white side of the glitter paper, and trace around it.
2. Cut out the outline on the glitter paper and glue. Add hot glue to one straight edge of the paper.
3. Overlap the other edge of the paper with the glued side. This will create a cone shape for your hat. Be sure to hold the hat in place until the glue has dried.
4. Cut 5 ribbon pieces and curl them. Each ribbon piece should be at least 6 inches long. Open your scissors up all the way and place a ribbon flat on one of the blades on the scissor. Hold the ribbon lightly with your thumb and use your other hand to pull the ribbon across the blade.
5. Tape the end of each curled ribbon together and insert into the top of the hat. Make sure you tape the ribbon pieces together and tape it again once it’s inserted inside the hat.
6. Make two holes at the bottom on your hat and tie the string to them. Make sure the holes are close to the bottom of the hat and on opposite sides. Each end of the string will tie to each hole using a double knot. Tape the string inside the hat so it doesn’t come undone.
7. Decorate your hat! Use the hot glue gun to glue on fun sequins and decorations. Get creative!