TITLE: Visitor Services Associate
DEPARTMENT: Marketing and Communications
REPORTS TO: Manager, Visitor Services & Membership
TYPE OF POSITION: Part-time, non-exempt
SCHEDULE: Minimum one week day and one weekend day.
HOURS: 8:45am to 4:00 pm (some after hours as needed)
Salary: $12.50 per hour
The New Children’s Museum is a new model of children’s museum whose mission is to stimulate imagination, creativity and critical thinking in children and families through inventive and engaging experiences with contemporary art.
The role of the Visitor Services Associate is to provide quality customer service to all visitors. The Visitor Services Associate works directly with the Visitor Services & Membership Manager to ensure that our members & visitors have a positive, fun, and educational experience from the moment they arrive at the Museum. The Visitor Services Associate works in three different areas including parking garage, welcome desk and birthday parties and acts as the hub of information for Museum happenings, and facilitates general visitor communication about the Museum and surrounding areas via telephone and in person.
Ideal Visitor Services Associate candidates are those who enjoy working with people of all ages and backgrounds, as well as those who have a strong desire to provide consistent, excellent customer service to visitors.
- Open and/or close the visitor parking garage at the beginning/end of the Museum’s public hours.
- Greet motorists and direct them to parking spaces.
- Cash register opening and closing procedures in accordance with written policies & procedures.
- Data entry and sell daily admission tickets, parking, memberships and merchandise in Altru.
- Answer main Museum phone line or return voicemail messages; respond to customer inquiries, providing information about programs & services, visitor complaints and concerns.
- Maintain inventory stock of the following: administrative supplies, Museum collateral, neighborhood guides, visitor comment cards, etc.
- Assist with Lost and Found.
- Set up and clean up party place.
- Communicate the party schedule and content to the birthday party host family upon arrival.
- Assist the birthday party host family with set up, clean up, and time management for the duration of the party.
- Escort birthday party host family to the Welcome Desk at the conclusion on the party to process payment. Ensure that the checkout form is properly filled out.
- Work cooperatively with multiple departments including Operations, Visitor Services, Education and Exhibitions, etc.
- Two years college experience preferred.
Experience & Characteristics:
- Must be available to work one weekend day per week
- Minimum two years of related customer service/sales experience.
- Available to commit to a consistent, part-time schedule that includes weekends, holidays, and occasional evenings.
- Ability to promote sales with ease.
- Outgoing, friendly, positive attitude.
- Ability to effectively communicate to visitors the content and value of the Museum’s exhibitions, studios and programs.
- Ability to work successfully with children, parents and caregivers from a diversity of backgrounds.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Willingness to be certified in First Aid and CPR.
- Cash handling skills required.
- Must be an exceptional role model with a demonstrated ability to work with a team to accomplish goals in a supportive, collaborative and empowering manner.
- Excellent problem-solving skills – must have a positive, creative approach to both and be an imaginative, flexible and resourceful individual.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to program ideas, develop effective plans and execute them with excellence.
- Bilingual a plus.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk, see and hear. The employee is required to stand, walk and lift or move up to 30-50 pounds. The employee must be able to verbally communicate in a concise manner.
The majority of work is performed in a museum environment with attendant noise level and requires observance of safe work practices, fire regulations, and avoidance of falls, trips, and similar office work hazards. Due to the nature of the position, weekend hours will be required.
Please submit your resume, three professional references, and a thoughtful cover letter that clearly describes how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of this position. Email all of the above to email@example.com and reference “Visitor Services Associate” in the subject line or apply below!
NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.