TITLE: Security Officer
REPORTS TO: Visitor Services & Floor Manager
TYPE OF POSITION: Part-time, Non-Exempt, $15/hour (20-29 hours/week)
Security Officers at The New Children’s Museum ensure Museum Guests and Staff experience a safe environment while they visit the Museum and the surrounding outdoor areas. The Security Officer’s role is to observe and react intuitively and quickly, constantly modeling a respectable presence. Through this role, Security Officers create an atmosphere in which all can play comfortably and safely. The ideal candidates are model citizens who enjoy working with the public as well as providing Museum Visitors with the peace-of-mind to enjoy a perfect day.
Visitor and Building Security and Safety During Open Hours
- Monitor Museum entrances and exits.
- Patrol the external Museum surroundings, including Museum Park and Parking Garage.
- Respond to evacuations or emergency situations, both outside and inside the Museum.
- Document incidents and injuries that occur within the Museum footprint and provide first aid as needed.
- Deter undesirable activity outside of the building.
- Make periodic rounds of the Museum Floor, appropriately reacting to visitor and staff safety needs and/or communicating installation integrity needs.
- Maintain a constant awareness of Museum rules, procedures and policies while modeling impeccable level of integrity for our visitors, staff, vendors and all other guests.
- Restock inventory at first-aid locations.
- Learn about and be prepared to accurately communicate Museum pricing and hours
- Current Guard Card Certification preferred
- Current CPR/AED/First Aid Certification within 30 days of hire
- High School diploma or equivalent
- 2+ years of security experience or other relatable experience
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
- Ability to self-motivate and remain on-task without immediate supervision
- Weekends are regularly require as well as holidays and some mornings and evenings.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk, see and hear. The employee is required to stand and walk for 5 hours at a time. At times the employee may need to climb and crawl, sometimes in dark or confined spaces. The employee must be able to and lift or move up to 30 pounds. The employee must be able to verbally communicate in a concise manner.
The majority of this work is performed in the busy Downtown, Museum environment with constant ambient noise at moderate levels and requires observance of safe work practices, fire regulations, and avoidance of falls, trips, and similar office work hazards. A portion of this position does require outdoor exposure to elements. Due to the nature of the position, weekend and holiday hours will be required.