The New Children’s Museum offers tours for schools and other groups from pre-kindergarten through high school and beyond.
Virtual School Visits
The Museum offers Virtual School Visits for classroom grades 1-5! Through our Virtual School Visit classroom set, educators and students will enjoy a 2-hour interactive, unique and fun online tour experience of the Museum’s art installations and studio spaces featuring standards-based art activities during the 2020/2021 school year.
NOTE: Registration for 2020/2021 Virtual School Visit Kits is closed. Stay tuned for 2021/2022 registration dates available in the fall.
The Virtual School Visit experience is made possible by the California Arts Council, a state agency. Additional support by County of San Diego, Nordson, Qualcomm and the Rice Family Foundation.
Virtual School Visit Preview
Follow along by watching a pre-recorded video tour of the Museum led by our staff with opportunities to pause and do creative, hands-on art activities inspired by the Museum’s spaces! Watch the preview here!
- An instructional overview sheet for the educator.
- A pre-recorded, 25-minute video tour, in which students are playfully led through the Museum. (Youtube link provided)
- 30 art kits (1 kit per student) with an activity booklet and art materials designed to engage creativity and critical thinking.
- FREE for educators at Title 1 schools (limited number of classroom sets per month; first-come, first-serve)
- Classroom set of 30 kits: $135
- Additional sets of 5 kits: $22.50 each
California Arts Standards for Visual Arts
- Grade 1: Identify the roles and responsibilities of people who work in and visit museums/other art venues.
- Grade 2: Discuss and reflect with peers about choices made in creating artwork.
- Grade 3: Speculate about processes an artist uses to create a work of art.
- Grade 4: Compare responses to a work of art before and after working in similar media.
- Grade 5: Compare one’s own interpretation of a work of art with the interpretation of others.
In-person School Visits
Physical school visits are temporarily unavailable until further notice. We will offer priority booking to those with cancelled visits during the closure when the Museum reopens and is able to safely host school visits. For questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select your organization type to learn more about Museum offerings and pricing.
School visits to our Museum extend classroom learning and provide lifelong tools for success!
Title 1 Schools
We are proud to offer a limited number of free and discounted school programs for Title 1 Schools.
We offer a limited number of free PLAY excursions for Head Start students, parents and teachers.
We are happy to offer a discount for community groups including day care centers, recreation centers, camps and places of worship.
High Schools + Colleges
We offer a discount for high school and college groups to provide tools for our future educators, professionals, and leaders.