do it yourself: mother's day poppies
Make a beautiful handmade bouquet of coffee filter poppies and tissue paper flowers for this Mother’s Day! Follow this simple DIY to surprise the creative mother in your life and celebrate Mother’s Day with her!
guidelines + materials
TIME FRAME: 30 minutes
- Coffee filters (or colored paper tissues)
- Pipe cleaners
- Spray bottle
- Food coloring or tempera paint
1. Layer 2 coffee filters. Then cut the edges of filters to make petal shapes.
2. Pinch and twist the middle and add pipe cleaner to create a stem.
3. Make poppy watercolor by putting watered down food coloring or watered down paint in a spray bottle so there is just a tint of color. A 3:1 ratio tends to work, but play with the colors depending on what color you choose. Another fun way to make your own watercolor is to soak old markers in a cup of water.
4. Spray 1-2 times with poppy watercolor.
5. Gift your finished poppy flower to mom!
If you don’t have coffee filters or a spray bottle at home, here’s a simple alternative to make a flower for mom.
1. Pick 3-4 pieces of tissue paper. Then stack tissue papers together.
2. Pinch and twist the bottom center of tissues and wrap a pipe cleaner around the twist (same as Step 1 above).
3. Trim edges of tissue paper (optional). Then peel the layers of tissue paper to form petals and add volume to your flower.
4. Share your flower with mom!