do it yourself: mini taco piñata
Make your own mini taco piñata at home inspired by a workshop at the Museum! Materials can easily be found at home and gets the entire family in a festive mood!
guidelines + materials
AGE: 6+ years old
TIME FRAME: 30 minutes – 1 hour
- Small Bowl
- Masking Tape
- Paper Streamers (recommended colors: gold, brown, green, red + yellow)
DIY Mini Taco Piñata
Watch this short video to see how to make a mini taco piñata!
1. Trace bowl (upside down) on cardboard and cut out circle.
2. Cut out a strip from the cardboard that is slightly longer than the circle.
3. Create taco shape by folding the circle cardboard with the strip between it.
4. Tape the strip to the taco to hold the shape. Make sure the strip is secure and be sure to leave a small opening to insert candy at the end. Cut off any extra cardboard on the strip.
5. Cut paper streamers so that the bottom is frayed. Make small cuts about 1/4-inch into the bottom on the streamer and space them out about 1/4-inch from each other. Do this with all the streamers you will be using.
6. Glue on gold streamers to the outside of the taco. Slightly overlap each streamer one at a time. You will need about three layers of streamers for each side. Cut any extra streamers and glue down the ends.
7. Cut a piece of streamer the size of the bottom of the taco and glue to the bottom. Trim any extra streamer as needed.
8. Add toppings to your taco by taking different colors of streamers to glue down into the middle of the taco. Glue down brown (not frayed) into the middle of the taco. Take green, red and yellow streamers (frayed) and glue the ends of them to the middle of the taco.
9. Insert candy into piñata and tape closed when done. Glue on gold streamer to cover tape.
10. Enjoy your piñata!