Do It Yourself: Flying Floating Superheroes
Pow, wham, slam, kaboom! With our Superhero Summer coming to an end, we decided to drop by our Innovators LAB and see what super-themed workshops our little innovators are making! With activities ranging from superhero stickers to our famous Monsters & Aliens hunt, the Museum has been decked out in a variety of themed art projects, where visitors were able to show off their super strengths at the Museum all summer long!
We’re excited to share one of our visitors’ favorite super activities, which you can do right at home! Learn how to make your favorite superhero with just a few simple materials in this fun DIY project!
guidelines + materials
TIME FRAME: 45 minutes
- Pipe cleaners
- Wooden beads
- Pony beads
- Paper straws (cut into 2-inch pieces)
- Colored felt sheet (3×4-inch piece)
- Felt tip pen
- Coffee filter
- Colored tape
- Hole puncher
If you could have any superpower, what would it be? All summer long, we’ve seen what heroes our visitors envision and create. Now it’s your turn! Once you gather all your materials, it’s time to get started!
1. Take three pipe cleaners and twist them together in the middle until it makes six divided pieces. The twisted part should be about an inch long.
2. Move one strand to the left (at 9:00) and one strand to the right (at 3:00). These will be the arms. Leave two strands on top, which we will use for the head. The remaining two strands at the bottom will be the legs.
3. String a piece of the paper straw through both legs to create a torso. Then string two pieces of straw through each arm and leg to form joints.
4. Secure the ends of the arms and legs by twisting the pipe cleaner ends and tucking them inside the straws.
5. To add a cape, cut a small slit on the top of a piece of felt. Then string through the two strands of pipe cleaner that are meant for the head.
6. Use a wooden bead for the head. String the two top strands through the bead and twist at the top. The excess pipe cleaner can be used for hair or you can cut it off after you’ve secured the ends.
7. Finally, use a felt tip pen to draw a face! You can always add more beads to the pipe cleaner to personalize your crime-fighting figure.
8. If you want your superhero to float in the air, you can make it a parachute. Tape the edges of two opposite sides of the coffee filter. Then, hole punch the tape on both sides. Tie string around the holes and then attach to your superhero!
Once you have completed your superhero, you can put its power to the test! Here at the Innovators LAB, you can even launch your creation from our catapult. Whose superhero do you think will fly the furthest? Although the Flying Floating Superheroes workshop is coming to an end on September 3, there is always something fun going on at the Innovators LAB! Drop by next time you’re at the Museum! Workshops are led by Teaching Artists and take place every Monday-Thursday at 1pm and 2pm as well as Friday-Sunday at 11am, 1pm and 2pm. See you there!