do it yourself: comic book inspired self portraits
Learn how to draw self portraits inspired by the pop art style! Pop art is an art movement that took place during the late 1950s to 1960s and includes imagery of popular culture such as advertising and comic books and the use of bright, vibrant colors. Roy Lichtenstein was a prominent artist in defining the Pop Art movement through his famous comic strip paintings. In this DIY, we’ll be using Lichtenstein’s iconic Ben-Day dots technique to create our own comic book inspired self portrait.
guidelines + materials
TIME FRAME: 30 min
- Drawing Paper
- Colored Pencils
1. Start by drawing a self portrait. Use a mirror to view your reflection or a photo of yourself to do this.
2. Color in your self portrait using colored pencils. Then color in a background.
3. Outline the major details of your self portrait with a sharpie.
4. Using the markers, add dots in horizontal rows to give it a comic book aesthetic. Make sure to match the color marker to the colored pencils used in your self portrait when adding the dots.
5. Show off your self portrait to friends and family!