do it yourself: clay re-leaf
Inspired by Earth Day taking place on April 22, 2020, we have a fun DIY project for you! Collect leaves from outside, get your clay and gather a few household items to make your own leaf imprint. Be sure to customize it with your name and Earth Day inscribed on it. Once you’re done, you can hang it up anywhere as a reminder of Earth Day. Have fun with the project, take time to enjoy nature and notice the patterns and textures of the leaves!
guidelines + materials
TIME FRAME: 1 hour (need a day to dry)
- Clay (or Play-Doh)
- Cardboard square
- Rolling pin (or round object like a cup or bottle without ridges)
- Variety of fresh medium-sized leaves
- Tool to cut out (popsicle stick)
- Tool to poke a hole (wooden sewer or pencil)
diy: clay re-leaf
Create your own leaf pattern on clay as a reminder of Earth Day!
1. Using a rolling pin, roll clay out on cardboard square. Then place leaf on top of clay (face side up).
2. Roll over the leaf using the rolling pin. Go up and down 2 times. Don’t press too hard. Then remove leaf.
3. Write around the leaf. Put your name, Earth Day and 2020 around the leaf.
4. Cut around the leaf and print. Be sure to leave room for a hole and remove the excess clay.
5. Poke a hole on top of the leaf using a wooden sewer or pencil.
6. Leave the clay out in the sun until it has hardened.
7. Once the clay is hard, thread a string through the hole and hang it anywhere!