It’s March, which means it’s time to celebrate Youth Art Month!
Youth Art Month is an annual recognition of the importance of visual arts education as a necessity for the full development of a better quality of life for all. The Council for Arts Education (C.F.A.E) hosts a celebration of art across the country through exhibitions of young artists’ work. Public artworks, student exhibitions, art festivals, and school events raise awareness and support of the visual arts to local and state education officials, business and community leaders, and state and federal legislators.
The mission of The New Children’s Museum has a lot in common with that of Youth Art Month. The Council for Arts Education claims claims that Youth Art Month:
- Recognizes art education as a viable factor in the total education curriculum that develops citizens of a global society.
- Recognizes art is a necessity for the full development of better quality of life for all.
- Directs attention to the value of art education for divergent and critical thinking.
- Expands art programs in schools and stimulate new art programs.
- Encourages commitment to the arts by students, community organizations, and individuals everywhere.
- Provides additional opportunities for individuals of all ages to participate in creative art learning.
- Increases community, business and governmental support for art education.
- Increases community understanding and interest in art and art education through involvement in art exhibits, workshops, and other creative ventures.
- Reflects and demonstrates the goals of the National Art Education Association that work toward the improvement of art education at all levels.
In celebration of Youth Art Month 2018, The New Children’s Museum is excited to showcase student art from our San Diego community. On view in the Museum’s Community Gallery are unique puppets made by first grade students at High Tech Elementary North County in San Marcos, CA. These students created these works as part of a unit on puppetry in which they explored puppet making, script writing and performance. We are happy to highlight the special work of these students and to offer puppet art and play experiences for families to enjoy together. Thank you to the exhibiting students and to their participating educators!
Join us at The New Children’s Museum to create your own puppet and celebrate your creativity in one of our studio workshops!