This is a volunteer position that involves working directly with visitors (children and adults) in the Museum’s public areas and classrooms. Volunteers will work alongside the Museum’s Playworker, Teaching Artist, and Visitor Service Teams to monitor spaces, assist with operations, engage visitors, support artmaking activities, clean and sanitize areas and support welcome desk. Volunteers will help ensure that adults and children who visit the museum have a safe, fun, and enriching experience. Specific duties may include staffing in the Paint and Clay Studios, Sketch Aquarium, Whammock! and our Pop-Up Shop.
- Support safe, creative and appropriate play and learning opportunities for children at NCM.
- Exercise excellent communication with all Museum visitors: children, parents and other adult caregivers to provide consistent, excellent customer service to all visitors.
- Troubleshoot visitor issues and be trained and prepared for emergencies.
- Communicate with other Museum staff regarding any issues related to maintenance or safety.
- Ensure the safety and cleanliness of all public areas.
- Promote the Museum’s mission.
- Prepare materials; clean and stock galleries and studios.
- Participate in required trainings and meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of this role. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The volunteer may be required to lift or move up to 30-50 pounds.
The majority of work is performed in a museum environment with sometimes high noise levels and requires safe work practices, adhering to fire regulations, and avoidance of falls, trips, and similar office work hazards.
If you are still interested in becoming a volunteer and meet the minimum age requirement of 16 years or older, please apply on our volunteer website at: https://www.volgistics.com/ex/portal.dll/ap?ap=299906867
Once your application has been received, we will review and reach out to you about the next steps. All volunteers (18+) will be subject to a background check.
Thank you again for considering our museum for your volunteer opportunity.