This is a volunteer position that involves working directly with our San Diego Community (children and adults) in different community centers for the Mass Creativity program. Mass Creativity is a series of artist-led outreach workshops designed to inspire imagination and creativity and make hands-on art-making accessible to those that might not otherwise have the opportunity to experience it. Each year the Mass Creativity program consists of complimentary workshops in diverse communities in San Diego that take place throughout April to June and culminate in a free all-day event at the Museum called Mass Creativity Day.
Volunteers will work alongside the Museum’s Playworker, Teaching Artist and Visitor Service Teams to facilitate workshop spaces, assist with operations, engage participants, support art-making activities, prep and clean areas and support the survey process. Volunteers will help ensure that adults and children who participate in the Mass Creativity Workshops have a safe, fun and enriching experience. Specific duties may include
- Comfortable working with diverse communities
- Talk to families about their workshop experiences
- Assist with set up and cleanup of workshop space
- Pass out Workshop surveys
- Support safe, creative and appropriate play and learning opportunities for children in the workshop.
- Exercise excellent communication with all workshop
- Troubleshoot visitor issues and be trained and prepared for emergencies.
- Communicate with other Museum staff regarding any issues related to maintenance or safety.
- Ensure the safety and cleanliness of all public areas.
- Promote the Museum’s mission.
- Prepare materials; clean and stock workshop spaces.
- Participate in required trainings and meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of this role. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The volunteer may be required to lift or move up to 30-50 pounds.
The majority of work is performed out in the community at different partner centers around San Diego, so transportation to these workshop sites is necessary. During workshops there is high noise levels and requires safe work practices, adhering to fire regulations, and avoidance of falls, trips, and similar office work hazards.
If you are still interested in becoming a volunteer and meet the minimum age requirement of 16 years or older, please apply on our volunteer website.
Once your application has been received, we will review and reach out to you about the next steps. All volunteers (18+) will be subject to a background check.
Thank you again for considering our Museum for your volunteer opportunity.
Workshop Dates & Times
Saturday, April 20
12 – 3:30 pm
3909 Centre St
San Diego, CA 92103
Wednesday, May 1
3 – 6:30 pm
3604 Beyer Blvd.
San Ysidro, CA 92173
Thursday, May 2
3 – 6:30 pm
1625 Newton Ave #200
San Diego, CA 92113
Friday, May 17
12:30 – 3:30 pm
681 Naples St,
Chula Vista, CA 91910
Saturday, May 18
12 – 3:30 pm
4077 Fairmount Ave
San Diego, CA 92105
Friday, May 31
10 am – 1:30 pm
7900 Paradise Valley Rd,
San Diego, CA 92114
Saturday, June 1
10 am – 12:30 pm
722 W California Ave
Vista CA 92083